The A. Cohen Company started in 1912, when Abraham Cohen decided to open a shop at the corner of Dover and Harrison Avenue in the South End of Boston. Abe did watch repair, and sold watches, clocks and jewelry. After years of hard work building the business, he decided to relocate to a new building that had been recently constructed in downtown…the new address was 333 Washington Street.
In 1926, after many years of success, The A. Cohen Company expanded into the wholesale of watch material and diamonds as well as labor for the trade.
As the years passed, Mr. Cohen’s son, Irving, returned from WWII and went to work for the company as a sales representative on the road, serving greater Boston and areas all the way down to Fall River and New Bedford.
After Abe Cohen passed away, his son continued to run and grow the business. In the seventies, Irving’s nephew (and the grandson of Abe Cohen), Bob Weiner, joined the firm. The business continued to thrive, and in 1982, Allen Jacobs was hired to the staff. Around 1995, shortly after Irving Cohen had passed away, Bob sold the business to Allen Jacobs, who remains the shop’s proprietor.
Since purchasing the business, Allen has changed the dynamic of the company, concentrating more on becoming a full-scale service hardware store to the jewelry, watchmaking, and clockmaking industry.
Today, the A. Cohen Company still caters to the trade. We carry an extensive line of jewelers tools and supplies, as well as still being one of the only watch parts and materials suppliers in the state. We have an extensive inventory of old parts and material for out-of-date watches. We’re always on the look-out to purchase old shops, jewelry stores, or watchmakers who may be going out of business so we can continue to provide used tools and equipment, as well as hard-to-find parts and materials to those who need them.